Lasting peace requires that key actors have the skills and access to forums and institutions allowing them to cooperate across political or sectarian lines. This is why a large part of UNDP’s work in preventing violent conflict, and its recurrence, involves working with local communities and governments to set up ways for managing disputes through inclusive participation and dialogue.
By supporting national dialogue processes, local peace committees, and confidence-building activities between people and communities, UNDP contributes to reaching consensus on sensitive issues, mitigating ongoing tensions and fostering breakthroughs in political deadlocks at the national and local levels. UNDP also works to prevent electoral violence and strengthen foundations for more resilient societies.
UNDP’s activities complement the diplomatic efforts at the political high-level made by other members of the UN System. By strengthening national and local conflict management capabilities, the results of official preventive diplomacy are deepened and sustained at the community and civil society levels.
UNDP’s work in conflict prevention is focused on supporting national and local institutions and leadership in their efforts to prevent violence, manage conflicts constructively, and engage peacefully in political transitions and rapid change processes.
Projects and Initiatives
UNDP's Work in Conflict PreventionView More
- UN Assistance for Internally Negotiated Solutions to Violent Conflicts
- Hybrid Peacemaking: Building National “Infrastructures for Peace”
- Why Dialogue Matters
- Democratic Dialogue
- Local Peace Committees
- Local Peace Committees - Summary
- Conflict and Development Analysis
- 25 May 2016:Magdy Martínez Solimán:Opening Remarks at the ‘Montreux IV’ Workshop for Resident Coordinators and Senior UN Officials
- 28 Jan 2016:Survey reveals South Sudanese views on truth, justice and healing
- 23 Dec 2015:Japan grants US$2 million to support host communities and displaced Syrians in Lebanon
- Hungry for change? Help us make the Global Goals a reality! Join our #Pandas4GlobalGoals contest to spread the word & you could win a trip to China and meet this adorable fellow: pandas.undp.org 3 hours ago
- Why? Only hazara people kill We need in our country peace So come together and get it form government. So please help us 8 hours ago
- "See more posts on"Facebook