Lasting peace requires that key actors have the skills and access to forums and institutions allowing them to cooperate across political or sectarian lines. This is why a large part of UNDP’s work in preventing violent conflict, and its recurrence, involves working with local communities and governments to set up ways for managing disputes through inclusive participation and dialogue.
By supporting national dialogue processes, local peace committees, and confidence-building activities between people and communities, UNDP contributes to reaching consensus on sensitive issues, mitigating ongoing tensions and fostering breakthroughs in political deadlocks at the national and local levels. UNDP also works to prevent electoral violence and strengthen foundations for more resilient societies.
UNDP’s activities complement the diplomatic efforts at the political high-level made by other members of the UN System. By strengthening national and local conflict management capabilities, the results of official preventive diplomacy are deepened and sustained at the community and civil society levels.
UNDP’s work in conflict prevention is focused on supporting national and local institutions and leadership in their efforts to prevent violence, manage conflicts constructively, and engage peacefully in political transitions and rapid change processes.
Projects and Initiatives
UNDP's Work in Conflict PreventionView More
- UN Assistance for Internally Negotiated Solutions to Violent Conflicts
- Hybrid Peacemaking: Building National “Infrastructures for Peace”
- Why Dialogue Matters
- Democratic Dialogue
- Local Peace Committees
- Local Peace Committees - Summary
- Conflict and Development Analysis
- 25 May 2016:Magdy Martínez Solimán:Opening Remarks at the ‘Montreux IV’ Workshop for Resident Coordinators and Senior UN Officials
- 28 Jan 2016:Survey reveals South Sudanese views on truth, justice and healing
- 23 Dec 2015:Japan grants US$2 million to support host communities and displaced Syrians in Lebanon
- 👉 http://bit.ly/1wJtDcD - Interested in climate change? Take the UN CC:Learn e-course! It's free, self-paced and takes only 6 x 2 hours! - Vous voulez en apprendre davantage sur les changements climatiques? Essayez le cours en ligne UN CC:Learn! C'est gratuit, vous pouvez le suivre à votre propre rythme, et ne prend pas plus de 6 X 2 heures! - Interesado en el Cambio Climático? Haz el curso de autoaprendizaje en línea de UN CC:Learn! Es gratis, y sólo lleva 6x2 horas! #climatechange #UN #online #free #ecourse #MOOC #environment #COP21 #COP22 #climateaction #actionclimate #parisagreement #cambioclimático #changementclimatique #education #forestry #cities #health #finance #policy #learn UNITAR UN Geneva United Nations UNEP UN-REDD Programme (FAO/UNDP/UNEP) United Nations Development Programme - UNDP World Health Organization (WHO) UN-HABITAT Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) UNFCCC UN CC:Learn 3 hours ago
- What does each of the 17 Global Goals stand for? Find out over the next 17 days. The countdown is on! PS - Our #Pandas4GlobalGoals competition ends together with the countdown. Get creative now and enter here to win a trip to China: bit.ly/29ZOZfT 10 hours ago
- "See more posts on"Facebook