Lasting peace requires that key actors have the skills and access to forums and institutions allowing them to cooperate across political or sectarian lines. This is why a large part of UNDP’s work in preventing violent conflict, and its recurrence, involves working with local communities and governments to set up ways for managing disputes through inclusive participation and dialogue.
By supporting national dialogue processes, local peace committees, and confidence-building activities between people and communities, UNDP contributes to reaching consensus on sensitive issues, mitigating ongoing tensions and fostering breakthroughs in political deadlocks at the national and local levels. UNDP also works to prevent electoral violence and strengthen foundations for more resilient societies.
UNDP’s activities complement the diplomatic efforts at the political high-level made by other members of the UN System. By strengthening national and local conflict management capabilities, the results of official preventive diplomacy are deepened and sustained at the community and civil society levels.
UNDP’s work in conflict prevention is focused on supporting national and local institutions and leadership in their efforts to prevent violence, manage conflicts constructively, and engage peacefully in political transitions and rapid change processes.
Projects and Initiatives
UNDP's Work in Conflict PreventionView More
- UN Assistance for Internally Negotiated Solutions to Violent Conflicts English
- Hybrid Peacemaking: Building National “Infrastructures for Peace” English
- Why Dialogue Matters English
- Democratic Dialogue English
- Local Peace Committees English
- Local Peace Committees - Summary English
- Conflict and Development Analysis English
- 13 Nov 2014:UNDP, Government of Japan and Government of Ukraine to support restoration of critical social care infrastructure in Eastern Ukraine
- 26 Sep 2014:Helen Clark: Speech at the International Support Group for Lebanon
- 26 Feb 2014:New programme to help communities recover from violence in the Central African Republic
- Goal 15: Protect, restore, and promote sustainable life on land Want to learn them all? http://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/mdgoverview/post-2015-development-agenda.html about an hour ago
- Our early recovery work to create jobs, peace and stability for conflict affected people in northeast Nigeria has started. Learn more. 4 hours ago
- "See more posts on"Facebook