Preparing for Disaster
Here are some essential steps that you can take to prepare for disasters:
- Build an Emergency Supply Kit and include non-perishable food, water, a battery-powered or hand-crank radio, extra flashlights and batteries, sanitary items, shoes and clothing as well as other items you might need.
- Make a Family Emergency Plan. Agree how you will contact one another, how you will find each other and what you will do in case of an emergency.
- Volunteer to support disaster efforts in your community, be part of the community planning process.
- Join or start a preparedness project. Serve your community by improving the preparedness of your friends, colleagues and neighbors.
- Support major disasters by donating cash or goods that are needed.
- Duplicate your important documents and keep an extra copy offsite either in a safety deposit box or with someone you trust. Examples of these documents are: passport, driver's license, social security card, will, deeds, financial statements, prescriptions, personal items, etc. Include an inventory of your valuables, in writing and with photographs or video.
- Get the latest information from your local news stations and follow instructions given by local emergency management officials.
- Learn the elevation level of your property and whether the land is flood-prone.
- Learn community hurricane evacuation routes and how to find higher ground. Determine where you would go and how you would get there if you needed to evacuate
- Remove dead or rotting trees and branches that could fall and cause injury or damage during a severe thunderstorm.
- If you are a tourist, familiarize yourself with local tsunami evacuation protocols. You may be able to safely evacuate to the 3rd floor and higher.
- Prepare for landslides by following proper land-use procedures.
- In mudflow areas, build channels or deflection walls to direct the flow around buildings.
- Use fire-resistant or noncombustible materials on the roof and exterior structure of your house.
Latest News from our efforts to prevent crisis worldwide
- 16 Dec 2014:Armed with soap, Guinean women take the fight against Ebola into their own hands
- 16 Dec 2014:Japan and UNDP team up to help strengthen security in Niger
- 16 Dec 2014:UNDP signs USD 10 Million agreement with USAID for rubble removal in Gaza
- 12 Dec 2014:UNDP to support Central African Republic elections in 2015
- 11 Dec 2014:Millions at risk of losing their incomes in Ebola-affected countries, says UNDP
- 09 Dec 2014:Community volunteers in Liberia are limiting the spread of Ebola