UNDP's Social and Environmental Standards and Accountability Mechanism
In June 2014 UNDP adopted mandatory Social and Environmental Standards (SES) for all of UNDP’s projects and programmes effective 1 January 2015.
The Standards are underpinned by an Accountability Mechanism with two key components:
- A Social and Environmental Compliance Unit (SECU) to respond to claims that UNDP is not in compliance with applicable environmental and social policies; and
- A Stakeholder Response Mechanism (SRM) that ensures individuals, peoples, and communities affected by projects have access to appropriate grievance resolution procedures for hearing and addressing project-related complaints and disputes.
Make Your Voice Heard!
Stakeholders from around the world can help strengthen the SES and Accountability Mechanism by providing comments and ideas for how to make them more effective, and suggestions for raising awareness among locally affected communities.
Feedback during the 2014 Open Comment Period on the Draft SES resulted in many improvements to the final version. This included good ideas for capacity development, due diligence, and strategies for highlighting opportunities and benefits the SES and Accountability Mechanism bring to UNDP partners and affected communities.
Now that the SES and Accountability Mechanism are up and running, we want to continue hearing from you. Future draft documents related to the SES and Accountability Mechanism, such as Guidance Notes, will be shared on this website for inputs. Additionally you can stay involved through the following:
Sign Up to Provide Feedback and Receive Updates
Fill out the form below to receive periodic updates:
Help Spread the Word
Adoption and launch of the Social and Environmental Standards and accompanying Accountability Mechanism was an important milestone for UNDP. A crucial next step is ensuring that impacted communities, governments, and other implementing partners understand and adhere to the SES, and are clear about the multiple options the Accountability Mechanism offers to communities and individuals for resolving concerns and grievances.
- What are YOUR ideas for spreading the word globally about the SES, SECU and SRM?
- What information and materials do you need from UNDP to help reach out to communities and other partners?
- What networks or organizations can serve as partners in spreading the word?
- Who else should receive information or participate in outreach activities?
Contact Us With Questions and Feedback
- Social and Environmental Standards (SES) team: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social and Environmental Compliance Unit (SECU): email@example.com
- Stakeholder Response Mechanism (SRM): firstname.lastname@example.org
We welcome your ideas and feedback at any time!
Learn More about UNDP’s Social and Environmental Compliance Review and Stakeholder Response Mechanism
If you believe a UNDP-supported project or programme has harmed, or is likely to harm, you, your community, or the environment, you may request help.