UNDP Annual Report 2008/2009: Living up to its Commitments
The report outlines steps taken in 2008 to assist countries in developing their capacities to respond to citizens’ needs and reports on concrete actions undertaken by UNDP to deliver on commitments made. The demand from developing countries for capacity development support, especially in the area of developing local services, increased dramatically in 2008 as countries faced the fallout from the food, fuel and financial crises. As a result, UNDP responded to requests to facilitate capacity assessments and diagnostics in 65 programme countries in 2008. UNDP will stay the course as spelled out in the UNDP Strategic Plan 2008-2011 and focus its efforts on reducing poverty, promoting democratic governance, supporting crisis prevention and recovery efforts and achieving sustainable development results in energy and environment, efforts that are crucial to achieving the MDGs, both in times of economic crisis and prosperity.
- In consultation with both individual governments and local people, UNDP initiated and scaled up respectively, programmes that focused on poverty reduction.
- In 2008, UNDP endorsed a new climate change strategy, which supports the capacity of developing countries to make informed policy and investment decisions that help in the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, as well as reduces poverty and accelerates the achievement of the MDGs.
- In 2008, UNDP also contributed in administering resources on behalf of the United Nations through the Multi-Donor Trust Fund Office, which administers a portfolio that has grown to US$3.79 billion and encompasses 23 funds.
Download this Document
- Full Report (1.6MB)
- Introduction: A Time to Come Together (137 KB)
- UNDP On the Ground: Fulfilling Commitments (114 KB)
- Poverty Reduction (199 KB)
- Democratic Governance (454 KB)
- Crisis Prevention and Recovery (408 KB)
- Environment and Sustainable Development (111 KB)
- UNDP and the UN System (173 KB)
- Inside UNDP: Living up to Internal Commitments (141 KB)
- UNDP Resources (67 KB)