GOPAC Timor-Leste attends international GOPAC conference
Dili - Members of the Global Organization of Parliamentarians against Corruption (GOPAC) from Timor-Leste are taking part in the fifth international GOPAC conference being held in Manila, the Philippines from 30 January to 2 February 2013.
UNDP, through its Strengthening Institutional Capacity of the National Parliament project funded by the European Union (EU), is providing financial support to delegation members from Timor-Leste. The total amount of funding provided by the EU for this conference is €10,000.
The Conference theme is “good leadership, good law and good citizens” and will focus on the role of leadership in achieving a society free from corruption.
The President of GOPAC Timor-Leste’s Executive Committee, Francisco Miranda Branco said: “It is my hope that the Members of the National Parliament will stand in the front line to combat corruption, relying on all legal means available to them, such as the Constitution and the national legal framework.”
During the 3-day conference, delegation members from 73 nations will discuss the effectiveness of the implementation of the United Nations Convention Against Corruption (UNCAC), the role of parliamentary oversight, the role of auditors in combating corruption, the importance of anti-fraud laws, the rights to information and the participation of civil society in the fight against corruption and corruption prevention in order to promote transparent procurement processes, businesses and oversight mechanisms.
The GOPAC delegation from Timor-Leste includes ten members of the National Parliament, who are also members of GOPAC Timor-Leste:
- H.E. Vicente da Silva Guterres, President of National Parliament
- H.E. Aderito Hugo da Costa, Vice President of National Parliament
- H.E. Maria Fernanda Lay, Secreatry of National Parliament
- H.E. Francisco Miranda Branco, Chief Opposition Party, Fretilin
- H.E. Maria Lurdes Bessa, President of Commission B
- H.E. Mateus de Jesus, President of Commission G
- H.E. Izilda Soares, Vice President of Commission C
- H.E. Virginia Ana Belo,
- H.E. Benvinda Rodrigues,
- H.E. Josefa Alvares Pereira Soares, President of GMPTL
Timor-Leste also participated in the GOPAC conferences held in Kuwait (2008) and Mexico (2010).