UNDP at the meetings of the Convention on Biological Diversity and its protocolsOct 6, 2014
The 12th Conference of Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD COP-12) and meetings around its Protocols take place between 29th September and 17th of October in Pyeongchang, Republic of Korea.
CBD COP-12 brings ministers, leaders and delegates from over 190 countries together to review progress on conserving, sustaining and fairly sharing the benefits of biodiversity.
Under the theme of ‘Biodiversity for Sustainable Development’, the meeting also aims to:
- raise international awareness on the essential role of biodiversity in ensuring a sustainable form of development; and,
- put a strong emphasis on biodiversity in the ongoing deliberations on a global development agenda to follow the Millennium Development Goals after 2015.
As the largest operational and financial player on environmental sustainability in the United Nations system, UNDP is playing a prominent role at the critical international meetings.
UNDP Administrator Helen Clark will officially open the High Level Segment of CBD COP-12 on October 15th and the organisation is hosting or cohosting 15 side events over the 15 working days.
Topics for UNDP side events include biodiversity financing, national biodiversity strategies and action plans, biodiversity and the post-2015 development agenda, financing for protected area systems, sustainable forest management and more.
For more information see the full list of UNDP hosted and co-hosted events.
In addition, UNDP experts will take part in a range of other side events around CBD COP-12. These include:
- A high level event to celebrate the UN Decade on Biodiversity, that will take place on October 14th. UNDP Administrator Helen Clark will deliver a keynote speech. The event will include the launch of the UNDP publication ‘Biodiversity for Sustainable Development: Delivering Results in Asia and the Pacific.'
- The event ‘Biodiversity in the Post-2015 UN Development Agenda and Sustainable Development Goals: Next Steps’ takes place on the morning of 15th of October. UNDP Administrator Helen Clark will deliver a speech.
- The day-long ‘Transformative Initiatives in Biodiversity Mainstreaming and Financing’ event on 16th of October brings ministers, leaders and international experts together to help push forward efforts to put biodiversity at the centre of sustainable development policy-making and help plug the huge finance gap for biodiversity.
A meeting on the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety takes place between 29th September and October 3rd. A meeting on the Nagoya Protocol on Access and Benefit Sharing will take place between October 13th and 17th. The Conference of Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity takes place between 6th and 17th of October.
UNDP’s work on ecosystems and biodiversity
UNDP’s biodiversity and ecosystems portfolio is the largest in the UN system. We’ve helped manage over 500 projects in 146 countries, including strengthening over 2000 protected areas. UNDP has also promoted ecosystem-based approaches to the adaptation to, and the mitigation of, climate change in over 70 countries.
Read more about UNDP's work on biodiversity and ecosystems.
About the Convention on Biological Diversity
The Convention on Biological Diversity calls for the protection of biodiversity, the sustainable use of its components, and the fair and equitable sharing of the benefits arising out of the utilization of genetic resources. The Convention entered into force in December 1993, with 194 parties signed up to date.
Read more about the Convention on Biological Diversity and its Protocols.