Korean experts discuss aid, health and development
Over 100 doctors, academics, government officials and representatives of civil society organizations tackled pressing health issues at a major conference hosted by the Korean society of global health at Korea University today.
Artemy Izmestiev, Policy Specialist at the UNDP Seoul Policy Centre, delivered a speech on the importance of health as a core part of sustainable human development.
‘If a person is not healthy they can’t reach their potential. Their choices are limited – and freedom, as exercised through choices, is curtailed’.
He also encouraged the Korean health and development community to work together in a final push to meet the health related Millennium Development Goals by 2015.
“These challenges are great, they are growing, and they do not respect national boundaries. But we believe that by working collaboratively with other and by keeping health close to the heart of our mission, we can be a contributor to tackling these challenges,” he said.
Youngju Oh, Director General of the Development Policy Division in the Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs, spoke about the on post 2015 development agenda and global health and introduced the Korean government’s health focused official development assistance (ODA).
“Health is a major focus of our ODA program. We will build a results based management system by reinforcing monitoring and evaluation in reflection of the importance of it” she said.
Participants discussed the issues and future directions for health related ODA and sought to raise public awareness of its importance among the Korean public.
Established in April 2013, the Korean Society of Global Health aims to promote discussions and knowledge exchange among experts in global health and health related ODA. Around 250 members come from academia, the Korean government, government agencies and civil society
Seoul Policy Centre News
- 04 May 2016:"Work for Human Development" Discussed at Roundtable on UNDP Human Development Report
- 21 Apr 2016:UNDP’s panda campaign kicked off in Korea to promote Sustainable Development Goals
- 15 Mar 2016:UNDP Seoul Policy Centre and Seoul Government Discuss Ways to Share Korea’s Open Data and Public Construction Policies with Partner Countries
- 03 Mar 2016:Magdy Martínez-Solimán: Statement delivered at the opening of the 'Expert Meeting on Gender-based Violence and the SDGs'
- 02 Mar 2016:Ending gender-based violence essential to achieving sustainable development
- 23 Feb 2016:UNDP Highlights Partnership with Seoul Metropolitan Government at Annual Networking Meeting