Asia needs social protection systems that boosts resilience against shocks
The following is an opinion piece by Anne-Isabelle Degryse-Blateau, Director of the UNDP Seoul Policy Centre, in the Korea Joongang Daily.
The recent global financial crisis showed how a globalized world brings a globalization of shocks. Solid social protection systems are vital to protect livelihoods and cushion economies against them.
Income poverty has fallen drastically in Asia and the Pacific. Millions of people have benefited from the strong economic gains of the past two decades.
Yet progress has been uneven. Over 900 million people, more than the combined population of North America and Western Europe, still live in extreme poverty and are vulnerable to economic, social and environmental shocks.
Many Asian countries have traditionally relied on family or community based social protection structures. These informal and semi-formal arrangements have two major weaknesses: first, they may collapse or fail under certain circumstances and payouts may be too small. Second, they may not cover all vulnerable groups.
Family and community based systems are now eroding in the face of changing working habits, cultural values, family structures and urbanization. People are being left vulnerable and exposed. They need social safety needs to protect them.
Many countries . So the big questions they face are ‘how do we do it?’ and ‘which model makes sense?’
Asia’s share of over 65’s will rise significantly over the next half century. Pension demands will grow rapidly. Social protection systems tend to get more expensive over time, especially with rapidly aging populations, so another key question is ‘how can we afford it in the short and long term?’.
Each country faces its own unique challenges and will have its own unique answers. Solid cost-benefit and cost-efficiency analysis will help shape decisions.
Senior policy makers from 20 developing countries from different regions are discussing these issues at a Policy Dialogue event in Seoul today that is sponsored by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade and hosted by the Korea Development Institute and the UNDP Seoul Policy Centre.
The event should contribute to discussions under the G20 and the group’s efforts to share knowledge between nations and achieve resilient growth.
Economic crises and other shocks test social protection systems, exposing limitations and vulnerabilities. With the globalization of such shocks and demographic and societal changes at home, Asia must further develop its social protection systems to boost resilience of its people and economy against the shocks of the future.
Social Protection Policy Dialogue
- 5월 4일 (수) 오전 10시 고려대학교에서 “UNDP 인간개발보고서: 일과 인간개발”에 관한 라운드테이블이 열립니다. UNDP 서울정책센터, 외교부 및 고려대학교가 공동 개최하는 이번 라운드테이블에는 국제개발과 일의 의미에 대해 논의할 전문가들이 다수 참여합니다. 참석을 원하시는 분들은 다음 링크를 통해 사전 신청 바랍니다! http://goo.gl/forms/SwuZQGtwwo The UNDP Seoul Policy Centre, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Korea University invite you to join the roundtable titled “UNDP Human Development Report: Work and Human Development” on 4 May, 2016 at 10:00am at Korea University. Representatives from leading universities, research institutions, UN agencies, NGOs and governments will discuss the implications of work for human development. To attend, please sign up here: http://goo.gl/forms/SwuZQGtwwo 28 April AT 11:07 PM
- 지속가능개발목표 (#SDGs)를 홍보하는 UNDP 의 쌍둥이 “판다 대사” 이름짓기 캠페인이 가수 수지를 비롯한 여러 고위급 인사들이 참여한 가운데 오늘 용인 에버랜드에서 국내 론칭 되었습니다. 캠페인 홈페이지 www.sdgpanda.org 를 통해 이름 공모전에 참여한 분들에게는 UNDP 판다 홍보대사로 선발될 기회가 주어집니다. 자세한 사항은 다음을 클릭하세요! http://bit.ly/23LBmGK UNDP’s Global Panda Campaign to name its twin “Pambassadors” for the Sustainable Development Goals (#SDGs) was launched at Everland in Korea today in the presence of popular Korean singer, Suzy, among others. Please visit www.sdgpanda.org to win a chance to become one of UNDP’s 17 Panda Envoys, and click here for full story: http://bit.ly/23LBmGK 21 April AT 11:26 AM
- UNDP 서울정책센터는 국내 재해 위기 감축을 위한 재식림의 가치평가 분석을 담당할 단기 컨설턴트를 급히 채용 중입니다. 세부 내용은 첨부 링크를 참고하시기 바라며, 널리 공유해주시기 바랍니다! The UNDP Seoul Policy Centre is urgently recruiting short-term consultants to conduct analysis on the valuation of reforestation in terms of disaster risk reduction in the Republic of Korea. Please consult the following links for details, and please share widely! https://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=65672 https://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=65672 https://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=65650 19 April AT 10:03 AM
- UNDP가 2016년 ‘원조 투명성 지수’ (Aid Transparency Index) 보고서에 2년 연속으로 세계에서 가장 투명한 원조 기구 1위로 선정되었습니다. ‘원조 투명성 지수’는 여러 개발 원조 기관들을 공통된 글로벌 기준에 맞추어 독립적으로 평가합니다. 자세한 정보는 이곳을 클릭하세요: http://ati.publishwhatyoufund.org UNDP has been ranked as the most transparent aid organization in the world for the second consecutive year according to the 2016 Aid Transparency Index. The Aid Transparency Index independently assesses various aid organisations according to a common global benchmark. More information is available at: http://ati.publishwhatyoufund.org 14 April AT 04:33 AM
- "See more posts on"Facebook