Empowered lives. Resilient nations presentation
The groundbreaking development ideas that helped make UNDP what it is today were explored by Seoul Policy Centre Director Anne-Isabelle Degryse-Blateau in a presentation and discussion with Seoul National University students today.
‘People are the centre of development’ said Ms Blateau. ’This is at the core of everything we do. Development is about more than GDP, more than economic growth, more than numbers, it’s about people, and empowering people to exercise their choices’.
‘Amartya Sen paved the way for the human-centered approach to development and the idea of giving people the ability to realize their potential’ she explained. The human-centered approach is enshrined in the annual UNDP Human Development Reports that were first launched in 1990.
‘Shocks, both man-made and natural, have happened and will happen again. Helping countries prepare for them helps reduce the impact on people’s lives and protects the progress made in development’ said Ms Blateau, whilst discussing the concept of resilience.
The presentation also covered UNDP’s work with a broad range of governments, international organizations, civil society organizations, the private sector and other partners in 177 countries and internationally. She also explained how the UNDP Seoul Policy Centre connects developing countries to valuable aspects of Korea’s experience and supports Korea in its efforts to further key global development agenda issues.
- For the full presentation please visit our Slideshare page
- For photo's please visit our Facebook page.
UNDP Seoul Policy Centre staff give regular lectures on significant development themes to a range of universities in the Republic of Korea.
Contact Seoul Policy CentreMatthew Taylor +82 (0)10 2754 2814
- 지난 20일에 종료된 UN 고위급정치포럼 (#HLPF2016) 에서 반기문 사무총장은 첫 SDGs 경과 보고서를 발표했습니다. 동 보고서는 현존하는 데이터를 이용하여 17개 목표에 대한 전 세계 현황을 정확히 평가하고 있습니다. 전체 보고서는 링크를 참고하세요: http://unstats.un.org/sdgs/report/2016/The%20Sustainable%20Development%20Goals%20Report%202016.pdf At the UN High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (#HLPF2016) which just ended on 20 July, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon launched the first-ever progress report on the Sustainable Development Goals. “It provides an accurate evaluation of where the world stands on the 17 Goals, using data currently available,” he said. Read the full report at: http://unstats.un.org/sdgs/report/2016/The%20Sustainable%20Development%20Goals%20Report%202016.pdf 22 July AT 01:44 AM
- Assistant Mayor of Seoul Metropolitan Government: Transparent system of public construction was... 21 July AT 02:48 AM
- United Nations Development Programme - UNDP 20 July AT 04:08 AM
- "See more posts on"Facebook