Empowered lives. Resilient nations presentation
The groundbreaking development ideas that helped make UNDP what it is today were explored by Seoul Policy Centre Director Anne-Isabelle Degryse-Blateau in a presentation and discussion with Seoul National University students today.
‘People are the centre of development’ said Ms Blateau. ’This is at the core of everything we do. Development is about more than GDP, more than economic growth, more than numbers, it’s about people, and empowering people to exercise their choices’.
‘Amartya Sen paved the way for the human-centered approach to development and the idea of giving people the ability to realize their potential’ she explained. The human-centered approach is enshrined in the annual UNDP Human Development Reports that were first launched in 1990.
‘Shocks, both man-made and natural, have happened and will happen again. Helping countries prepare for them helps reduce the impact on people’s lives and protects the progress made in development’ said Ms Blateau, whilst discussing the concept of resilience.
The presentation also covered UNDP’s work with a broad range of governments, international organizations, civil society organizations, the private sector and other partners in 177 countries and internationally. She also explained how the UNDP Seoul Policy Centre connects developing countries to valuable aspects of Korea’s experience and supports Korea in its efforts to further key global development agenda issues.
- For the full presentation please visit our Slideshare page
- For photo's please visit our Facebook page.
UNDP Seoul Policy Centre staff give regular lectures on significant development themes to a range of universities in the Republic of Korea.
Contact Seoul Policy CentreMatthew Taylor +82 (0)10 2754 2814
- Please propagate this EDRI among youth ELECT-DISCUSS-RESOLVE-IMPLEMENT (EDRI): The basic fiber of EDRI of the Youth which are formed on democratic lines following the Values of Election-Resolution-Executing or Implemented by participatory method of electing their own president and executive body. This democratic process at its roots is fostering democratic leadership emerging as awared change harbingers, by acting against exploitation and deprivation yet inculcating in them the new spirit of self confidence for self reliance, by which, availing the fruits of state welfare concepts, schemes, aids, grants and subsidies that are made available by the both centre and state in different forms. Youth club approach is a holistic & integrated approach , youth club has become vulnerable because we never nurtured our movement with required inputs & resources Changing youth trends can be met through YC, wherein we can ensure youth participation ultimate for empowerment --- base is the same, (youth club) but we need to change the objectives, outlook & our strategies based on need analysis B J Prasanna DYC NYK 09 August AT 05:08 AM
- UNDP 서울정책센터에서 2016년 하반기 인턴을 모집합니다!! 지원 마감일은 2016년 8 월 10일 낮 2시 (서울시간)입니다. 세부 사항은 첨부 링크를 참고하시기 바라며, 널리 공유해주시기 바랍니다! https://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=67611 Call for Internships at United Nations Development Programme - Seoul Policy Centre! Applications are due at 2pm on 10 August 2016 (Seoul time). Please consult the following link for details, and please share widely! https://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=67611 01 August AT 11:53 AM
- 지난 20일에 종료된 UN 고위급정치포럼 (#HLPF2016) 에서 반기문 사무총장은 첫 SDGs 경과 보고서를 발표했습니다. 동 보고서는 현존하는 데이터를 이용하여 17개 목표에 대한 전 세계 현황을 정확히 평가하고 있습니다. 전체 보고서는 링크를 참고하세요: http://unstats.un.org/sdgs/report/2016/The%20Sustainable%20Development%20Goals%20Report%202016.pdf At the UN High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (#HLPF2016) which just ended on 20 July, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon launched the first-ever progress report on the Sustainable Development Goals. “It provides an accurate evaluation of where the world stands on the 17 Goals, using data currently available,” he said. Read the full report at: http://unstats.un.org/sdgs/report/2016/The%20Sustainable%20Development%20Goals%20Report%202016.pdf 22 July AT 01:44 AM
- "See more posts on"Facebook