UNDP and Korea help rebuild communities in D.R. Congo
The people of North Kivu province in the Democratic Republic of Congo have not had it easy in recent years. Yet after extensive fighting, UNDP and the Republic of Korea are helping to rebuild communities by reintegrating former combatants and lowering longstanding inter-community tensions.
The ‘Community Recovery and Peace Consolidation in North Kivu Project’ is also helping deliver basic services and supporting improved livelihoods for local communities.
More specifically, the project is:
- Creating Employment Opportunities: young people and former combatants are receiving vocational training, coaching and support for small businesses. This includes the use of animals for rural means of rural transportation to stimulate the mobility of people, goods and services and reducing the workload of women.
- Addressing Conflict Resolution: Moving beyond historic intercommunity mistrust requires understanding the importance of women and youth in the socio-economic workplace and efforts to ward off conflict through local empowerment. This involves the use of “inter-ethnic champions” that help build trust between ethnic groups.
- Ensuring Environmental Protection and Sustainability: This specific project is addressing land issues through the rehabilitation and construction of micro-dams to produce electricity. This is creating jobs, supporting forest conservation for long-term agricultural sustainability and helping cut the use of damaging charcoal.
The project recognizes the need to reintegrate returning combatants, both socially and economically, for harmonious and sustainable development. By creating jobs and infrastructure, the project is helping boost community capacity to absorb the returning combatants.
Through the joint Korea-UNDP MDG Trust Fund, Korea is providing $2.94 Million for the three year project that began July 2011.
Contact UNDP SeoulMedia Inquiries (Journalists) +82(0)10 2754 2814
- 지난 20일에 종료된 UN 고위급정치포럼 (#HLPF2016) 에서 반기문 사무총장은 첫 SDGs 경과 보고서를 발표했습니다. 동 보고서는 현존하는 데이터를 이용하여 17개 목표에 대한 전 세계 현황을 정확히 평가하고 있습니다. 전체 보고서는 링크를 참고하세요: http://unstats.un.org/sdgs/report/2016/The%20Sustainable%20Development%20Goals%20Report%202016.pdf At the UN High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (#HLPF2016) which just ended on 20 July, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon launched the first-ever progress report on the Sustainable Development Goals. “It provides an accurate evaluation of where the world stands on the 17 Goals, using data currently available,” he said. Read the full report at: http://unstats.un.org/sdgs/report/2016/The%20Sustainable%20Development%20Goals%20Report%202016.pdf Friday AT 01:44 AM
- Assistant Mayor of Seoul Metropolitan Government: Transparent system of public construction was... Thursday AT 02:48 AM
- United Nations Development Programme - UNDP 20 July AT 04:08 AM
- "See more posts on"Facebook