UNDP and Korea help rebuild communities in D.R. Congo
The people of North Kivu province in the Democratic Republic of Congo have not had it easy in recent years. Yet after extensive fighting, UNDP and the Republic of Korea are helping to rebuild communities by reintegrating former combatants and lowering longstanding inter-community tensions.
The ‘Community Recovery and Peace Consolidation in North Kivu Project’ is also helping deliver basic services and supporting improved livelihoods for local communities.
More specifically, the project is:
- Creating Employment Opportunities: young people and former combatants are receiving vocational training, coaching and support for small businesses. This includes the use of animals for rural means of rural transportation to stimulate the mobility of people, goods and services and reducing the workload of women.
- Addressing Conflict Resolution: Moving beyond historic intercommunity mistrust requires understanding the importance of women and youth in the socio-economic workplace and efforts to ward off conflict through local empowerment. This involves the use of “inter-ethnic champions” that help build trust between ethnic groups.
- Ensuring Environmental Protection and Sustainability: This specific project is addressing land issues through the rehabilitation and construction of micro-dams to produce electricity. This is creating jobs, supporting forest conservation for long-term agricultural sustainability and helping cut the use of damaging charcoal.
The project recognizes the need to reintegrate returning combatants, both socially and economically, for harmonious and sustainable development. By creating jobs and infrastructure, the project is helping boost community capacity to absorb the returning combatants.
Through the joint Korea-UNDP MDG Trust Fund, Korea is providing $2.94 Million for the three year project that began July 2011.
Contact UNDP SeoulMedia Inquiries (Journalists) +82(0)10 2754 2814
- 2030개발의제는 ‘누구도 뒤처지지 않는 (Leave No One Behind) 발전’을 표방하고 있습니다. 이 중요한 가치를 반영하여 'UNDP인간개발보고서: 인간개발을 위한 일' 은 지속가능한 일, 일의 세계와 양성 평등을 이야기 하고 있습니다. 지난주에 개최된 인간개발보고서 라운드테이블 회의의 동영상 스케치와 함께 더 자세한 내용도 읽어보세요: http://bit.ly/27iLje0. The commitment to leave no one behind is a key feature of the 2030 Agenda, and this focus is reflected in the ‘UNDP Human Development Report: Work for Human Development’, which calls for sustainable work and the need to address gender inequalities in the world of work. Watch the video of last week’s Roundtable Discussion on the Human Development Report and learn more at http://bit.ly/27iLje0. 13 May AT 03:15 AM
- Hi there, we don’t want you to miss out on this opportunity. Do you have a social enterprise to impact your community? Take part in the DBS - NUS Social Venture Challenge Asia TODAY for a chance to gain feedback and funding. Applications close 15 May. 4 days left - go for it! https://www.facebook.com/DBSNUS/photos/a.169219229933674.1073741828.168651779990419/476541462534781/?type=3&theater 10 May AT 11:55 PM
- 04 May AT 11:18 AM
- "See more posts on"Facebook