UNDP and Korea help rebuild communities in D.R. Congo
The people of North Kivu province in the Democratic Republic of Congo have not had it easy in recent years. Yet after extensive fighting, UNDP and the Republic of Korea are helping to rebuild communities by reintegrating former combatants and lowering longstanding inter-community tensions.
The ‘Community Recovery and Peace Consolidation in North Kivu Project’ is also helping deliver basic services and supporting improved livelihoods for local communities.
More specifically, the project is:
- Creating Employment Opportunities: young people and former combatants are receiving vocational training, coaching and support for small businesses. This includes the use of animals for rural means of rural transportation to stimulate the mobility of people, goods and services and reducing the workload of women.
- Addressing Conflict Resolution: Moving beyond historic intercommunity mistrust requires understanding the importance of women and youth in the socio-economic workplace and efforts to ward off conflict through local empowerment. This involves the use of “inter-ethnic champions” that help build trust between ethnic groups.
- Ensuring Environmental Protection and Sustainability: This specific project is addressing land issues through the rehabilitation and construction of micro-dams to produce electricity. This is creating jobs, supporting forest conservation for long-term agricultural sustainability and helping cut the use of damaging charcoal.
The project recognizes the need to reintegrate returning combatants, both socially and economically, for harmonious and sustainable development. By creating jobs and infrastructure, the project is helping boost community capacity to absorb the returning combatants.
Through the joint Korea-UNDP MDG Trust Fund, Korea is providing $2.94 Million for the three year project that began July 2011.
Contact UNDP SeoulMedia Inquiries (Journalists) +82(0)10 2754 2814
- We are just ONE Week away from BackToSchool on Monday, September 5th 2016. My target is to sponsor 50 kids BackToSchool, am are happy 25 kids already secured to hit the roads to their schools. You can HELP more kids to go BackToSchool by donating through our website http://www.penjoforeducation.org/get_involved 12 hours ago
- Please propagate this EDRI among youth ELECT-DISCUSS-RESOLVE-IMPLEMENT (EDRI): The basic fiber of EDRI of the Youth which are formed on democratic lines following the Values of Election-Resolution-Executing or Implemented by participatory method of electing their own president and executive body. This democratic process at its roots is fostering democratic leadership emerging as awared change harbingers, by acting against exploitation and deprivation yet inculcating in them the new spirit of self confidence for self reliance, by which, availing the fruits of state welfare concepts, schemes, aids, grants and subsidies that are made available by the both centre and state in different forms. Youth club approach is a holistic & integrated approach , youth club has become vulnerable because we never nurtured our movement with required inputs & resources Changing youth trends can be met through YC, wherein we can ensure youth participation ultimate for empowerment --- base is the same, (youth club) but we need to change the objectives, outlook & our strategies based on need analysis B J Prasanna DYC NYK 09 August AT 05:08 AM
- UNDP 서울정책센터에서 2016년 하반기 인턴을 모집합니다!! 지원 마감일은 2016년 8 월 10일 낮 2시 (서울시간)입니다. 세부 사항은 첨부 링크를 참고하시기 바라며, 널리 공유해주시기 바랍니다! https://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=67611 Call for Internships at United Nations Development Programme - Seoul Policy Centre! Applications are due at 2pm on 10 August 2016 (Seoul time). Please consult the following link for details, and please share widely! https://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=67611 01 August AT 11:53 AM
- "See more posts on"Facebook