- UNDP around the world
Many of UNDP's relationships with countries and territories on the ground exceed 60 years. Find details on our successes and ongoing work. Visit UNDP's global website.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Dem. Republic of)
- Congo (Republic of)
- Costa Rica
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- Denmark (Rep. Office)
- Dominican Republic
- E.U. (Rep. Office)
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Finland (Rep. Office)
- Iraq (Republic of)
- Kosovo (as per UNSCR 1244)
- Lao PDR
- Norway (Rep. Office)
- Papua New Guinea
- Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People
- Russian Federation
- São Tomé and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- Sweden (Rep. Office)
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Research & Publications
- News Centre
6 Achieve universal primary education
Where we are
The education standards in Niue are high and with a total primary enrollment of 100%. Transport to schools are provided for free which all attribute to having fully achieved MDG2. Read more in the Niue CPAP 2008-2012, pp 3-4.
The net primary school enrolment ratio has decreased for both boys and girls from about 99% in 2004 to 96% in 2009. Read more in the Samoa MDGs Initiative, p 5.
Where we are globally
Too many children are still denied their right to primary education, if current trends continue the world will not meet the goal of universal primary education by 2015.
- In 2011, 57 million children of primary school age were out of school, down from 102 million in 2000.
- More than half of these out-of school children live in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Globally, 123 million youth (aged 15 to 24) lack basic reading and writing skills; 61 per cent of them are young women.
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for MDG2
- Ensure that, by 2015, children everywhere, boys and girls alike, will be able to complete a full course of primary schooling
- Net enrolment ratio in primary education
- Proportion of pupils starting grade 1 who reach last grade of primary
- Literacy rate of 15-24 year-olds, women and men