UNDP’s Goodwill Ambassador Crown Prince of Norway Visits Zambia
Lusaka, Zambia, 25 October 2013 - United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Goodwill Ambassador, His Royal Highness (HRH) Crown Prince Haakon of Norway will arrive in Zambia on October 28th, for a four-day visit geared to helping support the agency’s role in the country’s development.
Crown Prince Haakon will meet with senior government ministers, traditional chiefs and pay a courtesy call on Vice President, Dr. Guy Scott. He will also be the special guest at the United Nations Day reception in Lusaka.
The UNDP Goodwill Ambassador will visit UNDP-supported national projects aimed at accelerating the Millennium Development Goals (MGDs), especially in the areas of poverty reduction, HIV/AIDS care and prevention, and environmental conservation initiatives aimed at adapting to the impact of climate change.
“As Zambia makes positive strides towards achieving a number of the MDGs, we look forward to supporting accelerated national efforts to move the pace of this progress. We are honored that HRH Crown Prince Haakon of Norway has chosen to visit Zambia to see the efforts being made by state and community actors to make this happen, and to engage particularly with the young people of this country on their hopes, aspirations, and efforts towards the future development of their country. It is also about linking the local to the global actions, resources, knowledge and networks to make it happen.” said Ms. Kanni Wignaraja, the United Nations Resident Coordinator and UNDP Resident Representative in Zambia.
Advocating for progress towards the Millennium Development Goals and engaging on the Post 2015 agenda for a more sustainable and equitable development around the world is at the core of Crown Prince Haakon’s UNDP engagement. He shares a deep commitment to making the planet a better place for all, and is a strong advocate for the eradication of extreme poverty, combating HIV/AIDS, ensuring environmental sustainability, protecting and promoting equality and human rights.
Moses Zangar, Jr., UNDP Communications Officer
Cell: +260 (0) 967 605 747, email: email@example.com
UNDP Zambia: www.zm.undp.org
- 25 May 2016:Backed by Stars, Unprecedented UN Campaign Seeks to Mobilize Millions to End Illegal Trade in Wildlife
- 24 May 2016:UN and businesses team up to prevent and respond to crises
- 24 May 2016:AfDB Annual Meetings: African Leaders Highlight Role of Affordable Energy for Sustainable Development
- 23 May 2016:Africa: economic transformation hinges on unlocking potential of cities, says the African Economic Outlook 2016
- 17 May 2016:Allocution de M. Abdoulaye Mar Dieye lors de la Réunion du Groupe Consultatif pour le financement du Plan National de Développement 2016-2020 de la Côte d’Ivoire