- UNDP around the world
Many of UNDP's relationships with countries and territories on the ground exceed 60 years. Find details on our successes and ongoing work. Visit UNDP's global website.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Dem. Republic of)
- Congo (Republic of)
- Costa Rica
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- Denmark (Rep. Office)
- Dominican Republic
- E.U. (Rep. Office)
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Finland (Rep. Office)
- Iraq (Republic of)
- Kosovo (as per UNSCR 1244)
- Lao PDR
- Norway (Rep. Office)
- Papua New Guinea
- Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People
- Russian Federation
- São Tomé and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- Sweden (Rep. Office)
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Research & Publications
- News Centre
Employment and Enterprise Development for Women and Youth
The project focuses on strengthening opportunities for economic diversification and employment creation, and on creating an enabling environment for Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) to expand opportunities for integration of local livelihoods into the private sector and the tourism industry. The project aims to;
- Develop a national framework on employment through assessments of labour needs and identification of priority areas.
- Strengthen the employment opportunities available in the country’s largest industry, tourism, where a particular focus would be given to improve the employability and integration of women to the formal labour force of the tourism sector through improvement of labour standards and advocacy initiatives targeting the sector.
- Pave way for establishing a UN Global Compact local network in Maldives.
- Support the Government to bring about legal reform in the trade sector following the gradation of Maldives to a Middle Income Country. This would involve supporting the Government in revising the existing Laws and Regulations governing the trade sector while also contributing to draft necessary new legislation in order to achieve broader reform to attract trade and investment to the country in the longer term.
Helped facilitate market integration through continuous efforts to create and sustain market linkages between MSMEs and the private sector. Organized ‘Partnering 4 Development’ forums to promote business linkages, strengthen partnerships on CSR and environmental sustainability, and integrate these components into local livelihoods.
Supported the formulation of Tourism Employment Standard to ensure that the working conditions in tourism establishments are understood, comparable, measurable and form an incentive for engaging in long-term employment for both men and women.
Assisted Ministry of Economic Development (MED) in undertaking an SME impact assessment on their SME loan schemes with recommendations for future loan scheme planning.
UNDP supported MED to pilot Economic Policy Discussion Forums, telecasted on national television, to educate the general public on issues surrounding economic development.
Developed the Strategic Human Resource Plan for the Maldives Tourism Sector, drafting and developing a National Employment Action Plan framework, and supported Maldives Association of Travel Agents and Tour Operators to come up with industry standards to strengthen service capacity of local tour operators and travel agents.
UNDP supported MED in providing technical assistance to revise a number of trade legislations while also supporting in drafting of new Bills such as the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Bill and Notarization Bill.
UNDP supported MED in developing a detailed Campaign Plan for the MSME sector.
|TOTAL US$ 528,784
|UNDP (TRAC funds)||US$ 176,158
|UNDP (TRAC funds)||US$ 194,335
|UNDP (TRAC funds)||US$ 158,175
|UNDP||US$ 176,158 (100%)|
|UNDP||US$ 193,276.65 (99%)|
- Project start date:
- January 2011
- Estimated end date:
- December 2013
- Geographic coverage:
- Focus area:
- Poverty Reduction
- 1: Eradicate Extreme Poverty and Hunger, and 3: Promote Gender Equality and Empower Women
- Programme Focal Point:
- Athifa Ibrahim
- Ministry of Fisheries and Agriculture, Marine Research Centre