- UNDP around the world
Many of UNDP's relationships with countries and territories on the ground exceed 60 years. Find details on our successes and ongoing work. Visit UNDP's global website.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Dem. Republic of)
- Congo (Republic of)
- Costa Rica
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- Denmark (Rep. Office)
- Dominican Republic
- E.U. (Rep. Office)
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Finland (Rep. Office)
- Iraq (Republic of)
- Kosovo (as per UNSCR 1244)
- Lao PDR
- Norway (Rep. Office)
- Papua New Guinea
- Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People
- Russian Federation
- São Tomé and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- Sweden (Rep. Office)
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Research & Publications
- News Centre
RESULT AREA 3 - INTEGRATED GOVERNANCE PROGRAMME
Enabling Environment Created and Strengthened for Enhanced Social Cohesion Through Inclusive and Participatory Decision Making and Development
This result area ensures:
- National and local capacities are developed for the peaceful management of inter-group and other tensions.
- Capacities and mechanisms for civil society, women and youth are enhanced to participate in public life, promote human rights and contribute to social cohesion.
- Capacity of the media to contribute to democratic discourse is enhanced.
- To create awareness on Rights to Information (RTI) and to facilitate sharing of experiences and international best practices, a RTI Symposium was among policy makers, public officials, civil society and media. International, regional and local experts attended as speakers and facilitated the thematic discussions. Some 40 participants from key Government ministries, independent commissions and civil society participated in the symposium.
- In order to strengthen the knowledge base of women councillors in local governance and democracy and to facilitate linkages for experience sharing and networking, the first ever networking forum of women councillors was held. 28 women councillors participated and the forum consisted of informative sessions on leadership, gender and development and governance system (including how the three pillars of the state and the local governance system function).
- In order to strengthen the existing national platform for NGOs to think and strategize on matters of mutual interest, a five day NGO forum was held in Raa Meedhoo, participated by 82 participants from 55 NGOs. The forum was organized by the Ministry of Home Affairs with support from UNDP.
- In order to promote community-base, grassroots and people-led dialogues on sensitive community issues and conflicts, a five day Community Based Theatre (CBT) training was conducted by the international expert, in which 16 participants were trained in facilitating forum theatre activities and sessions. Following the training, participants conducted field activities, with the support of the expert. The CBT methodology will be used as part of a series of community level dialogue and discussion forums to enhance local capacities on managing change and conflict prevention.
- 40 youth (20 girls and 20 boys between ages 15 to 18 years) from 18 Atolls participated in the Youth Leadership Programme 2012 organized by Democracy House in partnership with Institute of Governance and Democracy. The programme, supported by UNDP and other donors, aimed to make youth aware about cultural issues, civic education, democratic principles and functions of parliament, issues such as child protection, gender equality, conflict resolution, human rights, extremism and intolerance. A model parliament session was conducted at the end of the training, and was aired on the national TV channel.
- National level discussions and dialogues on RTI have increased through advocacy radio shows organised by NGO Transparency Maldives with support from UNDP and the United Nations Democracy Fund (UNDEF). The radio programme covered topics such as introduction to RTI, importance of RTI for democratic countries, role of RTI for good governance, transparency and accountability and RTI as a tool for addressing corruption. The radio shows are also being uploaded as podcasts.
|YEAR 2012 TOTAL US$ 476,860
|German Foreign Office||US$ 57,000|
|UNDP TRAC||US$ 55,095|
|United Nations Democracy Fund
|Democratic Governance Thematic Trust Fund||US$ 107,200|
|YEAR 2013 TOTAL US$ 640,301
|UNDP TRAC||US$ 15,000|
|United Nations Democracy Fund||US$ 172,133|
|Democratic Governance Thematic Trust Fund||US$ 190,596|
|Bureau for Crisis Prevention and Recovery||US$ 41,266|
|US Embassy||US$ 147,400|
|UNDP TRAC||US$ 10,994|
|Democratic Governance Thematic Trust Fund||US$ 53,298|
|Bureau for Crisis Prevention and Recovery||US$ 30,484|
- Project start date:
- 10 August 2013
- Estimated end date:
- 31 July 2015
- Geographic coverage:
- Focus area:
- Building capacity for social cohesion
- Programme Focal Point:
- Ms. Zindu Salih
- Ministry of Human Resources, Youth and Sports, Maldives National University, President’s Office, Civil Society, Maldives Broadcasting Commission, Media Council, Ministry of Home Affairs, Ministry of Gender, Family and Human Rights