Unexploded Ordnance: In-depth
Improving Safety Through UXO Removal
In 2013 alone, UXO Lao, supported by UNDP, cleared unexploded bombs, artillery shells, grenades and other leftovers of war from 2,856 hectares of land and removed 35,145 items of UXO. Since the programme began in 1996, more than 30,000 hectares of land – 300 square kilometres – have been cleared and more than 1 million items of UXO destroyed. This removal of UXO increases the safety of people in nearby communities and expands the amount of land available for food production and other development activities. UXO Lao also clears land in support of international development projects, including construction of schools, hospitals, health care centres and marketplaces.
Increasing Awareness Through Mine Risk Education
Mine risk education activities are designed to increase the awareness of people living in UXO-affected areas about the dangers of unexploded ordnance. A total of 173,465 people in Lao PDR, including 80,443 children, benefited in 2013 from mine risk education, which is adapted for specific age groups through puppet shows, songs, dances, and games. During this period, residents of 650 villages and schools received community awareness.
The UXO Trust Fund
To help mobilize and manage international assistance, the Trust Fund for Support to the Full Implementation of the Convention on Cluster Munitions in Lao PDR (UXO Trust Fund) was established in 2010, managed by UNDP. The Trust Fund, which currently serves primarily as a mechanism for support to the NRA and UXO Lao, is operated under the framework of the national UXO strategy and UXO policies approved by the NRA Board. Its Steering Committee is chaired by the Government and co-chaired by UNDP, in close consultation with the UXO Sector Working Group.
Financial resources contributed through the Trust Fund allow for an enhanced UXO sector-wide approach and increased Government ownership, leadership and discretion over resource allocation in the sector. The Trust Fund complements other funding options available to donors, including bilateral support and direct funding to UXO operators. A “window” to channel resources to non-Government organizations, whose ranks are growing in relevant areas, may provide added value in the coming years, particularly with regard to efforts within the disability sector and victim assistance initiatives.
MDG 9: Reduce the Impact of UXO
The Lao specific MDG9, to reduce the impact of UXO by 2020, highlights the links between UXO presence and poverty. Adopted in 2010 as part of the MDG Compact, a further commitment by Government and development partners to attain the overall MDGs, it sets three target:
- Ensure the complete clearance of UXO from priority / high-value agricultural land by 2020
- Reduce substantially the number of casualties as a result of UXO incidents
- Ensure that the medical and rehabilitation needs of all survivors are met in line with treaty obligations under the CCM
- ໃນເດືອນມັງກອນປີ 2015, ຄກລ ໄດ້ມີການປັບປຸງການເກັບກູ້ລະເບີດລູກຫວ່ານຫຼາຍກວາ 400% ຕໍ່ເຮັກຕາ ໂດຍເລັ່ງໃສ່ຈຸດສຸມໃຫ່ມ ທີ່ມີການສຳຫລວດອີ່ງຕາມຫຼັກການ ແລະ ແນໃສ່ເກັບກູ້ໃນບໍລິເວນທີ່ອັນຕະລາຍ ທີ່ກຳນົດໄວ້ກອ່ນ. ມື້ວານນີ້, ອົງການສະຫະປະຊາຊາດ ເພືອການພັດທະນາ, ລັດທະບານລາແລະ ບັນດາຄູ່ຮ່ວມ ພັດທະນາໄດ້ມີການປຶກສາຫາລືກ່ຽວກັບບັນຫາທີຂະແຫນງການເກັບກູ່ລະເບີດປະເຊີນ ໃນປີ 2015, ການບໍລິຫານກອງທືນຫຼາຍຟ່າຍ ແລະ ແຜ່ນຕ່າງໆເພື່ອຊຸກຍູ້ການດືງດູດຜູ້ໃຫ້ທືນໃນຂະແຫນງ ການໃຫ້ຫຼາຍຂື້ນເພື່ອຕອບສະຫນອງຄວາມຕ້ອງການຕໍ່ການປະຕິບັດວຽກງານສຳເລັດໃນປີ 2016. ຖ້າຕ້ອງການຂໍ້ມູນເພີ່ມເຕີມກະລຸນາເຂົ້າຫາເວບໄຊ້: www.la.undp.org In January 2015, #UXOLao improved their clearance of cluster munitions per hectare by over 400% through a new focus on evidence-based survey and clearance of well-defined Confirmed Hazardous Areas. Yesterday, the #UNDPLaoPDR, the Lao Government and Development Partners met to discuss the major issues facing the UXO Sector in 2015, management of the UXO Trust Fund and future plans for encouraging more donors to the sector to meet operation needs for 2016. For more information please visit: www.la.undp.org 22 hours ago
- UXO Trust Fund Steering Committee Meeting 2015 Photo: UNDP Lao PDR/ Chelsey Parish 22 hours ago
- "See more posts on"Facebook