- UNDP around the world
Many of UNDP's relationships with countries and territories on the ground exceed 60 years. Find details on our successes and ongoing work. Visit UNDP's global website.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Dem. Republic of)
- Congo (Republic of)
- Costa Rica
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- Denmark (Rep. Office)
- Dominican Republic
- E.U. (Rep. Office)
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Finland (Rep. Office)
- Iraq (Republic of)
- Kosovo (as per UNSCR 1244)
- Lao PDR
- Norway (Rep. Office)
- Papua New Guinea
- Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People
- Russian Federation
- São Tomé and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- Sweden (Rep. Office)
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Research & Publications
- News Centre
Poverty Environment Initiative: Phase II
What is the project about?
The PEI is a joint UNDP and UNEP global programme that implemented by UNDP Lao PDR Environment Programme together with Ministry of Planning and Investment (MPI) and Ministry of Natural Resource and Environment (MONRE). Building on the design and successful of Phase 1,the second phase (2012-2015) aims to strengthening capacity of Lao Government to manage investment more systematic and increasing number of quality investment across the country. This begins with support to the selection of appropriate investors and consideration of poverty-environment linkages in formulating economic and development policies and planning. This is supplemented with development of national capacities to negotiate deals to ensure compliance with environmental frameworks, as well as enforcement practical management tools and systems.
PEI Lao PDR approaches policy change at the national level to improve the integration of Poverty-Environment issues into the development planning process before they are put into practice.
What have we accomplished so far?
- Successfully development necessary materials and tools to improve the capability of Investment Promotion Department staff in managing investment including investment promotion brochure, video, One-Stop-Service (OSS) tracking system, OSS guidebook, standard model contract for agriculture and tourism concessions , and Financing Model for screening mining investment proposal.
- More than 170 environment authorities at Department of Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (DESIA) and other line agencies in central and provinces, mass organizations and NGOs increase their knowledge and understanding of Public Involvement in the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) process through capacity building activities of the PEI Programme.
- Successfully support DESIA to revise EIA Decree (122/PM) and transformed the Decree to IEE and ESIA Ministerial Structures that provides more clear guidance on the implementation of IEE and ESIA in the investment approval process.
- Availability of baseline data of investment quality in agriculture sector (rubber concession), which could be used to indicate and measure whether the ongoing investments could be considered as quality investment.
Who finances it?
|Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC)
|Poverty Environment Facility||US$749,193|
|United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Delivery in previous fiscal year
|2013: US$ 1,318,680.6
Quality Investment from Lao PDR Organic Contract Farming
Quality Investment from Lao PDR organic Contract Farming
Promote quality investment in non-natural resource sectors
- Project Start Date
- October 2012
- Project End Date
- December 2015
- Geographic Coverage
- Vientiane Capital, Oudomxay, Phongsaly, Huaphan, Saravan, Savannakhet and Vientiane provinces
- Focus Area
- Environment and Energy
- Project Officer
- Ms. Chitlatda Keomuongchanh and Mr. Nathan Leibel
- Investment Promotion Department of Ministry of Planning and Investment; National Research Institute of Ministry of Planning and Investment; Department of Environmental and Social Impact Assessment of Ministry of Natural Resource and Environment.