UNDP works on four outcomes under the Human and Social development area. The first outcome addresses women’s empowerment politically, economically, legally and socially. The second focuses on developing the capacity of CSOs and strengthening their role in the society to contribute effectively to the political, economic, social and cultural development of Kuwait. The third outcome deals with the revitalization of the role of youth in development through the development of a youth strategy. The fourth outcome attends to the pressing issues of traffic safety, and the execution of a long-term, comprehensive, national traffic strategy including the establishment of information and training centers.
To promote gender equality and assist Kuwait in achieving MDG 3, UNDP will use training, counseling, and the development of studies, strategies and educational material to build national capacities. Regional and international experience sharing events as well as the review of laws and legislations will be made available. Awareness campaigns will be used in spreading development concepts. Building national gathering and analyzing information systems, and establishing a National Centre for Modern Education and Training will be important instruments to be developed. UNDP will support Kuwait government in implementing its voluntary pledges presented in its Universal Periodic Review (UPR).
Outcome 2.1: Enhancement and expansion of the scope of women's participation in economic activities and political decision-making.
UNDP will advocate the empowerment of women through projects to develop women’s entrepreneurship skills, to enhance women's access to decision- and policy-making positions, legal empowerment, and the establishment of a women research and studies centre.
Outcome 2.2: Strengthening CSOs and expansion of their role in development, including entities working with culture, youth and children with learning challenges.
UNDP interventions will focus on enhancing the role of CSOs through capacity building and review of the legal environment to eliminate policies that hamper CSO activities.
UNDP will assist in strengthening institutions that deals with persons with disabilities with the aim to remove the barriers to their inclusion and to empower them to achieve their full potential.
UNDP will continue its support in the preservation and display of artefacts from Dar Al-Athar Al-Islamiyyah (DAI) collection at the Kuwait National museum, the renovation of selected buildings and train national staff.
Outcome 2.3: Development of a strategy to empower the country’s youth through capacity building, active participation, and volunteerism.
UNDP will work to develop a national youth strategy with policies and indicators to empower youth with various skills to enhance their awareness, to strengthen community participation and volunteerism, to engage in self-employment and to protect them from drug and alcohol abuse.
Outcome 2.4: Execution of a long-term, comprehensive national traffic strategy
UNDP continues to support the Kuwaiti Government in implementing a national strategy on traffic to create a sustainable safe transport system through the development of a national information gathering and analysis system, and the establishment of a national traffic training centre to build the capacity of national cadres.
- A number of workshop, conferences and trainings have been conducted for parents, school counselors and government staff
- Several toolkits, assessment and evaluation educational material, and a project brochure have been produced.
- Development of the National Traffic Information System and Geographical Information System – The design of the electronic system is underway.
- Development of the National Black-Spot System (NBSS)
- Development of the National Traffic Training Centre of Excellence (NTTCE) – The organizational chart for the center has been designed, an international capacity-building training workshop was held in Kuwait that was attended by 80 traffic police officers and engineers from various ministries; whereas 30 police officers were provided with a specialized enforcement training course.
- Ongoing renovation of selected artifacts
- Under the umbrella of DAI project, work is ongoing on the Kuwait National Museum and Amricani Cultural Centre to be a beacon for the arts, regularly hosting exhibitions, workshops and lectures and celebrating the significance of art in society.
- National cadres are trained on artefacts reservation and museum renovation
- Training-of-Trainers on Enterprise Development was conducted to the staff of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Labor by United nations Industrial development Organization (UNIDO) to help women entrepreneurs to establish their own businesses and create job opportunities for self and others.
- A needs assessment survey was conducted for the purpose of identifying the real needs of potential women entrepreneurs in Kuwait for MOSAL to assist the targeted women to start their own business in order to minimize the size of government subsidies and to allow these women better financial income. The survey targeted Kuwaiti women receiving support from MOSAL; accordingly, 504 questionnaires have been filled and based on them immediate and institutionalized interventions have been identified.
- Development of the Civil Society Programme
- Development of the Youth Strategy
- Produce a documentary of the Early Learning and Disability project to highlight the project and Kuwait's leadership role in this area.
- Traffic project interventions to further the scope and impact of the project as a result of the resolutions of the Council of Ministers include:
- Road Safety Improvement (RSI) system to minimize the severity, frequency, and cost to the community of road traffic accidents in line with the new UN Decade of Action Campaign 2011-2020, launched on 11 May 2011 and adopted as an international commitment by Kuwait.
- Traffic Management Improvement (TMI) system to enhance movement of people and goods, optimize transport system efficiency and improve traffic enforcement operations.
- Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) system to monitor the implementation of the National Traffic and Transport Sector Strategy (NTTSS).
- 10 Dec 2014:On Human Rights Day we speak out”: Video message from the United Nations Secretary-General, Mr. Ban Ki-Moon, on the occasion of Human Rights Day 2014
- 10 Dec 2014:UNDP Kuwait conducts consultative workshop with national partners to propose programmatic interventions in the Country Programme Action Plan 2015 – 2018
- 10 Dec 2014:Malala Gives A Jaw-Dropping Speech To Accept Her Nobel Peace Prize