- UNDP around the world
Many of UNDP's relationships with countries and territories on the ground exceed 60 years. Find details on our successes and ongoing work.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Dem. Republic of)
- Congo (Republic of)
- Costa Rica
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Iraq (Republic of)
- Lao PDR
- Papua New Guinea
- Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People
- Russian Federation
- São Tomé and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Research & Publications
- News Center
Training for Restoration and Display of the Dar Al-Athar Al-Islamiyyah Collection at the Kuwait National Museum
What is the project about ?
This project is a continuing project for the preservation and display of selected artifacts from the Dar Al-Athar Al-Islamiyyah (DAI) collection at the Kuwait National Museum. The objectives of the project are to train Kuwaitis to become professional museum and laboratories employees working to international standards.
- Training national professionals in conservation and maintenance of artefacts.
- Training national professionals to design of exhibitions and installation and maintenance of artefacts in museums and in the whole work of librarians.
- Training national engineers in building renovation and preservation including construction supervision and maintenance of buildings.
- Develop a Communication Strategy that will include Media Campaign for Dar Al-Athar Al-Islamiyah.
DAR Development Objectives :
There are quite a large number of museums in Kuwait, but only the Scientific Centre in Salmiya has today an international standard.
Reaching international standards require more than the presentation of a modern building with well presented exhibits, but also well trained employees.
The objectives of DAI are that the future employees of the museum, the laboratories and the stores shall be professional Kuwaitis, working to international standards.
A museum to international standards will not only attract the Kuwaiti population to visit the museum but also international visitors and tourists.
DAR collection is so unique that it will attract tourists to come especially to Kuwait only to see this collection.
The objectives of the project are to:
- Contribute to the development of knowledge and skills of the Museum’s personnel and those involved with the restoration and reparation of the KNM buildings and train professionals such as engineers and architects in construction supervision and rehabilitation works;
- Develop the skills and knowledge base to enable the preservation and documentation of the collection to be continued in a sustainable manner that is not dependent on foreign expertise; and train students and assistant conservators in conservation works;
- Ensure that conditions are correct for the long term preservation of the collection and train national professionals to maintain these conditions in the future museum;
- Train national professionals to prepare objects for display;
- Train national professionals to reinstall the collection of DAI at the KNM;
- Train national professional to ensure the stability of objects at risk in the collection;
- Train national professionals to provide enough suitable space to ensure the standards of collection care, collection management, including documentation, educational programmes and the studying of the collection can be maintained to the recognised standards; and
- Train national professionals to set up systems and protocols to encourage high standards of collection care and management in the future.
What have we accomplished so far?
- Trained # nationals in museum education and cultural communication.
- Developed an additional output, Communication Strategy, aim to centralize DAI resources and to increase DAI visibility. To increase overall awareness as a measurable objective and to strengthen the public response toward the Museum’s offerings.
- Advertised for additional UNDP Individual Consultants to address Museum specialized needs.
- In the process of hiring an international expert to develop and define the project with DAI actual media team in order to define the scope of work of the agency that will be procured.
Who finance this project ?
Government of Kuwait