Assises of Decentralized Cooperation for Development
UNDP, through ART Initiative, to promote a more integrated approach to Decentralized Cooperation
The third edition of the Assises of Decentralized Cooperation for Development will be organized on 9 April 2013 in Brussels by the Committee of the Regions and the European Commission. On this occasion, a High Level Session on “Decentralised Cooperation: towards a Multi-stakeholder and Multi-level approach” will be organized by the Association of Local Democracy Agencies (ALDA), the Basque Agency for Development Cooperation/Basque Government and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), through the ART Initiative (Articulation of Territorial Networks for Sustainable Human Development).
Members of European Parliament, European Commission, Committee of Regions, representatives of local and regional authorities from the North and the South, leaders and representatives of international organizations and Civil Society will debate on the added value of inserting local and regional authorities’ development efforts in a larger framework together with other development actors, reflecting a multi-level and multi-stakeholder approach to development.
Building on the Rio+20 outcome document and the Busan Global Partnerhsip that recognize local and sub-national authorities as key partners for good governance and effective development cooperation at the local level, the High Level Session is conceived as an important opportunity to debate on the main features of the multi-level and multi-stakeholder approach to development. It will also allow participants to discuss how Decentralised Cooperation frameworks can play a role in the consolidation of sectorial reforms by creating a favourale setting for local development.
Effective governance at local, regional, national, and global levels representing the voices and interests of all citizens is critical for advancing sustainable human development. The discussions of the session will be another important step in bringing the voice of local and regional actors in the post-2015 process, which is to shape the future global development agenda.
- Date: 9th April 2013, 9.30am to 13:00
- Venue: Committee of the Regions (CoR), Brussels
With the participation of:
- Mr Levon BARSEGHYAN, Member of the Municipality Council of Gyumri, Armenia
- Mr Francesco BICCIATO , Responsible for the UNDP ART Initiative in Brussels
- Moraig HENDERSON, Deputy Director for Policy and Communications, UN/UNDP Office in Brussels
- Mr Charles GOERENS, Member of the European Parliament, Development Committee
- Mr Vincent GRIMAUD, Head of Unit, Aid and Development Effectiveness and Financing, DG DEVCO, European Commission
- Mr Guillermo HERRERA, Prefect of the Carchi Province, Ecuador
- Mr Jean-Claude MAIRAL, President of Pays Vichy- Auvergne, France
- Mr Paul ORTEGA, Director of the Basque Agency for Development Cooperation, Basque Government
- Mr Oriano OTOČAN, President of the Association of Local Democracy Agencies
- Mrs Mina ROUCHATI, Member of the Regional Council of Tanger Tetouan, Morocco
- Mr Enrique URRUTIA, Director of Institutional Relations and Innovation of the Basque Agency for Water
- Mr Henri VALOT, Outreach Director of CIVICUS, South Africa
- Mr Luc VAN DEN BRANDE, Member of the Committee of the Regions, Commission for Citizenship, Governance, Institutional and External Affairs (CIVEX-V)
Registration to the Assises is now open
- Francesco Bicciato; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ferran Pérez; E-mail: email@example.com