Assises of Decentralized Cooperation for Development – Joint Migration and Development
The third edition of the Assises of Decentralized Cooperation for Development will be organized on 9 April 2013 in Brussels by the Committee of the Regions and the European Commission.
The Joint Migration and Development Initiative (JMDI), in partnership with the Regione Puglia, and the European Regional and Local Authorities on Asylum and Immigration Network (ERLAI) is holding an associated seminar, titled “Migration, mobility and development: which role for regional and local authorities?”, that will take place on Tuesday April 9, 2013 from 9.30am – 1pm at the Committee of the Regions in Brussels. The JMDI is initiative managed by UNDP in collaboration with IOM, ILO, UNHCR, UN WOMEN and UNFPA.
The seminar builds on the European Commissions’ Global Approach to Migration and Mobility (GAMM) which proposes to define an overall approach in the field of migration and mobility and to contribute to strengthening the relations between the EU and third countries. In this framework, the Committee of the Regions adopted the opinion "Migration and mobility: a global approach" on 18 July 2012, which calls for regional and local authorities to be fully taken into account in the implementation of the Global approach, building on existing decentralised cooperation projects and structured bodies. The seminar thus intends to explore the ways to promote the participation of local and regional authorities in strengthening the links between migration and development, especially in the framework of decentralised cooperation.
With that aim, Phase II of the JMDI, which focuses on the development of local and regional authorities' capacities to become active players in this field, will be presented. The JMDI will highlight the importance of developing a territorial approach to migration and development and will evidence the linkages that exist with key issues such as social cohesion and local governance.
The seminar will also attempt to reflect upon existing practices of regional and local authorities in the field of integration and cooperation with local and regional partners from third countries and will pay specific attention to the role of diaspora associations and migrant groups in this process. An overview of the 2014-2020 next EU Funding Programmes in the area of migration will be given by the European Commission’s Directorate-General for Home Affairs and the Directorate General for Development Cooperation.
- Date: 9th April 2013, 9.30am to 13:00
- Venue: Committee of the Regions (CoR), Brussels
With the participation of:
- Mr José Da Costa, Head of Project Local Governance and Social cohesion, Urban Community of Nouakchott, Mauritania
- Mr Antonio Garcia Nieto, Technical Advisor for the Murcia Region Bruxelles Office, Spain
- Ms Cécile Riallant, Programme Manager, Joint Migration and Development Initiative, UNDP
- Mr Mamadou Sene, Director of Diourbel Regional Agency, Senegal
- Mr Augustin Sambiani, Member of the National Parliament, Togo
- Ms Helene Bourgade, Head of Unit B3 Quality of Operations for Social and human development and Migration, DG DEVCO, European Commission
- Mr Robertus Rozenburg, Head of Unit, Unit 2 - External Relations and Enlargement, DG Home Affairs, European Commission
- Ms Lorenza Badiello, Head of the Bruxelles Office of Emilia Romagna and ERLAI network representative in Brussels, Italy
- Ms Antonella Bisceglia, Director of the migration policies department, Puglia Region, Italy
Registration to the Assises is now open
- Cecile Riallant; E-mail: email@example.com
- Aida-Bianca Balamaci; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org