8th edition of the UN-EU Partnership Report launched on 2013 World Food DayOct 16, 2013
Coinciding with the 2013 World Food Day, the UN/UNDP Office is pleased to announce the publication of the eighth annual Partnership Report “Saving and Improving Lives”.
The report presents this year the United Nations-European Union partnership for food and nutrition security from 2008 to 2012. The web photo publication and the videos included in the report will take you through the results of our work on the ground.
This report highlights results of what the UN and the EU delivered together over this 5 year period to improve food and nutrition security. Working together, the UN and the EU:
- Responded to emergencies by delivering annually food aid to people in over 35 countries.
- Ensured nutrition security in emergency contexts, supported community programmes focusing on children’s survival, delivered micronutrients, and improved early care practices in over 30 countries.
- Helped restore food production and reduce food aid dependency in nearly 40 countries affected by conflict and natural hazards through the provision of tools, seeds and other agricultural inputs.
- Supported, through the EU Food Facility, food security and resilience of 22 million people in 35 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
- Supported agricultural modernization, rural development, rural infrastructure development and agricultural research in around 100 countries.
These are just a few examples of where practical cooperation between the EU and the UN is making an impact where it counts most: in the lives of people.
The annual Partnership “Saving and Improving Lives” is prepared by the 26 Agencies composing the UN Team in Brussels, under the coordination of the UN/UNDP Office.